We chose their red lentil penne pasta, because of its milder taste, and paired it with a “Caprese Sauce” using raw tomatoes, mozzarella cheese and basil as key ingredients.
Preparation time: 50 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Total time: 60 minutes
Serves: 4 people
Tolerant Foods Penne – 12 oz (340 grams)
Ripe tomatoes – 2 lb (925 grams)
Garlic – 1 clove – skin removed and cut into two pieces
Extra Virgin Olive Oil – 3 tablespoons (45 grams)
Buffalo mozzarella- 10.6 oz (300 grams)
Grated Parmigiano Reggiano – 3 tablespoons (45 grams)
Basil 8-10 leaves
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (to drizzle over pasta)
Grated Parmigiano Reggiano (to sprinkle over pasta)
Prepare the sauce
- Wash the tomatoes thoroughly and carefully remove the stems, if any.
- Cut a very shallow X on the bottom of each tomato.
- Prepare a bowl of ice water and set it aside.
- Place a pot of water on the stove and bring it to a boil. Make sure there is enough water to cover all your tomatoes. Then, drop the tomatoes into the boiling water and blanch for 30 to 40 seconds.
- Quickly remove the tomatoes and place them into the prepared bowl of ice water for 2 minutes to stop the cooking process. Remove the tomatoes from the ice water.
- With a paring knife peel each tomato and remove the green core.
- Cut the tomatoes in half and remove the seeds with your fingers.
- Remove all seeds and cut the tomatoes into a small dice.
- Place your diced tomatoes between two sheets of paper towel for 5 minutes to remove the excess water.
- Remove the buffalo mozzarella from its container and carefully cut it into small cubes.
- Place the buffalo mozzarella between two sheets of paper towel for 5 minutes to remove the excess water.
Assemble the dish
- In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes and 3 tablespoons (45 grams) of olive oil and garlic clove and the buffalo mozzarella.
- Let stand for 30 minutes and then add salt to taste.
- Bring a pot of water to boil and add salt to taste.
- Cook the pasta “al dente”.
- Strain the pasta.
- Sprinkle 3 tablespoons (45 grams) of grated Parmigiano Regiano into bowl with the tomatoes and add the pasta.
- Tear the basil leaves into small pieces and add to pasta.
- Toss the pasta and add more grated cheese.
- Drizzle with more olive oil and serve.